Faculty News Roundup: Warrington professors’ successes in 2017-2018Reading Time: 3 minutes
Over the 2017-2018 academic year, Warrington College of Business faculty members reminded us why they’re some of the best in the world. From producing hundreds of new research papers, to teaching countless students the fundamentals of business, to writing or being quoted in the news about trending topics like cryptocurrency, energy, leadership, IPOs, brick-and-mortar retail stores and entrepreneurship, Warrington faculty members continued to elevate the college into one of the most respected in the world.
Warrington faculty had 176 papers accepted or published in the 2017-18 academic year, including:
- Why do we hate making financial decisions? – Aner Sela, John I. Williams Professor, Marketing
- Who has the advantage when starting a business – younger or older entrepreneurs? – Mo Wang, Lanzillotti-McKethan Eminent Scholar and Professor, Management
- How are individual portfolio managers compensated in the US mutual fund industry, and why does it matter for your wallet? – Yuehua Tang, Assistant Professor, Finance
- Why brick-and-mortar retail stores are still relevant – Anuj Kumar, William R. Hough Faculty Fellow, Information Systems and Operations Management
- Are store brands just as good? – Woochoel Shin, JCPenney Professor, Marketing
10 Warrington faculty members had 22 books and book chapters accepted or published, including:
- Joyce Bono, W.A. McGriff, III Professor, Management – “Building Positive Psychological Resources: The Effects of Mindfulness, Work Breaks, and Positive Reflection”
- Robert Emerson, Huber Hurst Professor, Management – “Law and the Managing of Technology”
- Debanjan Mitra, City Furniture Professor, Marketing – “Handbook of Research on New Product Development”
- Michael Schadewald, Clinical Associate Professor, Fisher School of Accounting – “Multistate Corporate Tax Guide”
- Yanping Tu, Assistant Professor, Marketing – “Hedonomics: On Subtle Yet Significant Determinants of Happiness”
4 faculty members added their voices to The Conversation:
- Aner Sela, John I. Williams Professor, Marketing
- Ted Kury, Director of Energy Studies, Public Utility Research Center
- Joyce Bono, W.A. McGriff, III Professor, Management– with Ph.D. student Elisabeth Gilbert
- Brian Gendreau, Clinical Professor and Richardson Fellow, Finance, Insurance and Real Estate
13 faculty members received awards and honors from higher education institutions and organizations across their industries:
- Chris Janiszewski, Russell Berrie Eminent Scholar Chair, Marketing
- One of 33 faculty members at the University of Florida to be named a UF Research Foundation (UFRF) Professor for 2018-2021.
- Named the third-most prolific author in premier marketing journals, according to AMA DocSig.
- Richard Lutz, JCPenney Professor and Chair, Marketing
- Named a fellow of the Association of Consumer Research at its annual conference.
- Joyce Bono, W.A. McGriff, III Professor, Management
- Ranked No. 16 on the list of most influential authors of organizational behavior textbooks.
- Mo Wang, Lanzillotti-McKethan Eminent Scholar and Chair, Management; Director, Human Resource Research Center
- Received the 2017 Journal of Management Scholarly Impact Award for the Journal of Management.
- Robert Emerson, Huber Hurst Professor, Management
- Earned the Best Paper Award at the International Society of Franchising (ISoF) Annual Conference.
- Amir Erez, W.A. McGriff, III Professor, Management
- Elected Membership in Society of Organizational Behavior.
- Gwen Lee, Chester C. Holloway Professor, Management
- Honored with exemplary performance as Editorial Board Outstanding Reviewer for the Academy of Management Journal.
- Received a $50,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to create an educational platform for creating robust and reliable research.
- Steve Shugan, McKethan-Matherly Eminent Scholar, Marketing
- Earned the 2018 Churchill Award from the American Marketing Association (AMA) Marketing Research Special Interest Group. He is the first faculty member from the University of Florida and second recipient from a university in the state of Florida to win the award.
- Nitish Kumar, Assistant Professor, Finance, Insurance and Real Estate and Yuehua Tang, Assistant Professor, Finance, Insurance and Real Estate
- Received the First-Place Paper Award at the 23rd Annual Chicago Quantitative Alliance (CQA) Competition.
- Brian Ray, Director, Poe Business Ethics Center, and Liangfei Qiu, Assistant Professor, Information Systems and Operations Management
- Robert Knechel, Frederick E. Fisher Eminent Scholar, Fisher School of Accounting; Director, International Accounting and Auditing Center
- Received an honorary doctorate from BI Norwegian Business School for his significant contributions to the field of accounting.
Warrington faculty members received some of the highest rankings for their research:
- Research productivity per capita – #1
- Research productivity per capita 2012-2016 – #7
- Faculty research productivity per capita in Marketing – #4 among U.S. schools; #9 worldwide
- Overall research productivity – #11 worldwide
- Steven Shugan, McKethan-Matherly Eminent Scholar, Marketing – #1 top-ranked research author in marketing worldwide
- Chris Janiszewski, Russell Berrie Eminent Scholar Chair, Marketing – #20 ranked research author in marketing worldwide
Warrington faculty by the numbers:
- Tenure: 47
- Tenure track: 22
- Non-Tenure Track: 42
- Total: 111
- Faculty by Department:
- Administration: 4
- Management Communication: 6
- Accounting: 18
- Finance, Insurance & Real Estate: 26
- Information Systems & Operations Management: 22
- Marketing: 14